While sifting through news pieces at work today, I came across a heartbreaking story. A dad, in tears, telling a t.v. reporter about the death of his 10-month-old baby. Hearing these stories is always tough, but this one was especially hard because it was so ironically preventable.
The precious little girl had been killed by the baby monitor – the device her parents had bought to keep her safe. Apparently, she pulled herself up to stand in the crib for the first time, grabbed the cord of her monitor, and was strangled.
Toward the end of the story, her dad says, “She reached a milestone, and that was the end of her life…We cry everyday.”
This story went on to say six babies have been killed in similar situations since 2004. There have been many more close calls.
There are no official recalls because of this specific danger yet. But the Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued guidelines about how close is too close to leave the monitor near your baby’s crib. You can find their warning here. They’re also looking into whether the warning labels on monitors clearly outline this risk.
In the meantime, be even safer when looking out for your baby’s safety. Put the safety monitors far out of reach, so your family doesn’t become another heartbreaking news story.